Saturday, March 14, 2009

More thoughts about defining yourself

If you have defined yourself and are unhappy about that definition then maybe before you give up on yourself you should look at how you are. Maybe you are a perennially competitive team that constantly goes 9 and 7. Sure you can be disappointed that you only occasionally make the sixth seed, and maybe you are disappointed that you are constantly outed in that first round only to watch the rest from the sideline. Remember there are lots of 3 and 13 teams. Remember that although you may not ever make it deep in the playoffs you sometimes at least make the playoffs. Maybe you should be happy that you don't completely suck. Maybe you should evaluate it and just say look, I am consistently in the top third of the league and although I don't ever truly dominate, at some point I cause upsets among the elite and I don't completely suck. Maybe you should just say HEY, I am above average but not exceptional. Maybe I should quit striving to be EXCEPTIONAL
-
Except maybe striving to be EXCEPTIONAL and failing is what makes you a slightly above average type of guy? If you just accepted Average maybe you would soon become below Average? How is it that we define ourselves?

2 comments:

compulsively yours...for now said...

dominate hmmmmmm.....

i like that word, it sounds so fun.

Native Minnow said...

I'm defining myself as a 3-13 team who never makes the playoffs right now.