Friday, April 2, 2010

A hello to the Month of April

Hello April -- You magnificent bitch of a month. April and December are the two most expensive months we have. In April there is the MFing IRS to deal with, and of course December is when we have been trained by advertising and our culture to buy all kinds of junk for other people.
-
April does have April Fools day though. That's good. Best April Fools Joke that ever got me is between The SIDD FINCH story that Sports Illustrated pulled and the time my daughter rigged to have me read a year old Newspaper.
-
In 1985, I was in College and my Sports Illustrated had an article about this guy named Sidd Finch who could throw a baseball 156 miles an hour. It was about a 3 to 5 page article, complete with pictures. It talked about how Tibetan Monks taught him to channel all his energy into his arm when he was throwing. It talked about his fear of accidentally killing someone if a ball got away from him. - It was in Sports Illustrated and I did not notice it was the April 1rst edition. I was so excited about watching this fictional dude pitch I could not contain myself.
-
A few years ago when I was still married I had a newspaper subscription. My daughter who was probably 8 years old or so at the time, conspired with my wife to pull an April Fools day trick on me as well. They had gone down to the newspaper plant and bought the April 1rst edition of the paper from the prior year. They switched it up so that was the paper I picked up off our lawn before heading on my way to work. At lunch time I immediately opened up the sports section and started reading about the world of sports. after a little while I realized it was just an old version and I was like DAMN, I cant believe the Gainesville Sun would mess with their readers like that. Only when I came home did I realize it was not the Gainesville Sun at all, it was my kid and my wife! ---Good one !
-
This April also has some cool things. This Tuesday I am going to Opening day of the Baseball season (home opener for the Rays) That will be awesome! Next week is spring break and I will have my kids for a couple of extra days! Adventure Island is open and i think we will do a little water sliding! April 24th is a JIMMY BUFFET concert, and tonight is dueling Piano's at the Howl at the Moon.

No comments: