Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Why Sports are important

The things that are beautiful, and the things that move people's souls come from all around us. People will study art in a classroom, but the great artist don't just paint pictures, or sculpt statutes, they make people think differently.
-
Great artists inspire. People will spend tons of money on art because the art they are buying has a name, and they are followers. The art of Picasso may genuinely be great, but the reason that he truly gets sales anymore, is because of his name. People buy to impress others, but at the same time, if you really see something that inspires you, and makes you think about greatness and the inner beauty that is mankind, and the kind of stuff that wills you to do better as a human being? ....Then that is art.
-
Or maybe its not art? Maybe the things that inspire, cant be placed on your wall. Maybe the things that move you are memories? Like Steven Detwiller hitting two home runs tonight, plus knocking in all the other runs batted in for the Fresno State bulldogs? Hell of a memory for him I am sure, Plus you know what, I was on my lazboy, but I also enjoyed the hell out of it.
Plus, just for good measure, pretend like he caught the last screaming line drive hit in that direction to end the game? Think about the fact that he did it with his Thumb hanging by threads at the end of his hand? How the surgery he talks about, is from a dead guy, putting ligaments within his live hand to try to make him better, you know, so he can hold a bat properly, and hit home runs? Or wait, he already did that? Twice, tonight? Plus the Double in his Four for Four Night.
-
Don't stress about his hand being a complete mess though. Think about how it makes you feel that the Fresno State Bulldogs just became the Cinderella story that will come to mind when Cinderella needs a Cinderella reference?
-
Cinderella will be cleaning Chimneys with her toothbrush, telling the Chimney sweep stuff that will make the Chimney Sweeps assistant think that maybe, one day, his illegitimate daughter can have a child that will actually get a "c" in spelling. Its not to much of a dream based on all this , or is it?
-
Here is a school that never hoped to even be the frog that got kissed, much less the frog that turns into that handsome prince after that very same kiss? Well tonight they were french kissing hot chicks.
-
Angelina Jolie was sticking her tongue down their mouths, and it was passionate. They never won a Men's Championship in anything, ever, unless you count College Baseball as a whole, and you count tonight in particular and dont worry, Brad Pitt doesnt care, because seriously you guys just won the College World Series.
-
My goodness, how sports will work you. Listen, I hate the Georgia Bulldogs to a passion, but you know what? they are an SEC school, and so when it was them against the Fresno state Bulldogs, I was pulling for the Athens version of the ugly house pet. Except those Fresno State guys Kicked the Georgia Bulldog ass, and it was truly a poetic thing. I watched it as it happened. They did it as the underdog from basically a commuter school, that never kissed any frogs. They did it with passion, They looked that Frog in the mouth and told them how sexy their warts were. And They did it with Guile, But most of all, they did it with love for the game of baseball, and before it was all done I was truly rooting for them.
-
It was like the cockroach that is getting squished by the Shoe, except the cockroach finds a special place within the floorboard that makes the squashing impossible. Plus, to their credit Cockroaches don't die easily.
-
It was me, rooting for the SEC. I couldn't help myself when I heard myself Cheer just after the Fresno State Bulldog shortstop made an error, He with the Three previous errors that night, but you know what? He also began the double play that basically put "my" bulldogs out of contention. And yes, He had previously committed three errors, and no they arent really "My" bulldogs, I am just trying to make the point that the beauty of sports moved me to watch and they moved me to look at how beautiful the wart that is the Georgia Bulldogs are to me.
-
Yes, I wanted the SEC school to win, because I love the SEC, but in the end, when the Fresno State guys with all their dangling thumbs hanging off their various palms, and their over thirty losses of a Baseball season ended up with a huge smiling pile up on the infield? All I could think about was the fact that Sports are truly beautiful. Sports move peoples souls. Sports are important, and the thing that makes fuddy duddys look down on it, are the things they don't see.
=
Its why they pick their art, The exact same reason they pick their art, not because it makes them feel alive, but because someone else told them it should move them. I am just saying tonight, watching that shit go on in Omaha, I was truly inspired, and moved. I know why sports are important, because I saw it in front of my eyes tonight and I know to look for it every time I watch sports. Freaking ART is what that was tonight. Thanks Fresno State, and this is nothing bad on Georgia. See you guys in Jacksonville and when we do, I hope you are undefeated, it will make for a better story if you are. ....
-
-
-

8 comments:

PhoenixHearse said...

I understand, I was completely inspired by Eric Byrnes's grand slam several weeks ago. But mostly just because he looked good doing it :)

Bill From Gainesville said...

Chicks DIG the LONG BALL!!!!

The Charming Hedonist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Charming Hedonist said...

Fresno State can suck my ass. And, for the record, when Georgia holds up their undefeated season by beating the Gators, it will be art.

Hell, football season starts in two months, two days, fifteen hours and nine minutes. Not like I'm counting.

Native Minnow said...

Sports are a beautiful thing. Although, sometimes the raw emotion can be a little too much to stomach (see also the KG interview after Boston won the NBA title).

Nashville tiger fan said...

I couldn't agree with you more brother. I too started watching the game pulling for the guys that stole their "G" from Grambling. However, when it was over I couldn't help but loving Fresno slide so comfortably into their new glass slippers (or cleats).

Native Minnow said...

On an unrelated note, I just finished watching the first season of Weeds. It's good. Funny and well written, but still not The Wire ;-)

Bill From Gainesville said...

Hedo-- Gotcha-- Fresno state Bulldogs, Like Georgia only better at baseball.
-
Minnow-- and like Kobe whining after game four...
-
Nashville-- Right, its like you want to pull for them because they are SEC but you couldnt help it in the end because the Fresno story is so on
-
Minnow TWO -- Telling you it only gets stronger -- I will put the wire on my Queue to be fair though.