Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sports are important and this is my argument why.

Tonight was just a great night. Hang on for just a second because I feel like I need to go out and buy myself an Ascot and a smoking jacket, because I am feeling all High Falutin and stuff.

-
Picture me sipping on some 80 year old Grand Marnier while wearing my Ascot, and smoking jacket, while I sit in some leather upholstered chairs in my private Library.
-
That is my impression of an aristocratic snob who thinks the Arts, and Opera and stuff like that are somehow above watching athletic competition.
-
To be clear I love great Art, or great music and Theater. Truthfully, I do. I remember staring at, Van Gogh's "Starry Night" for 15 minutes straight and just thinking that as many times as I have seen a print of that thing, it still blew me away to see the actual painting itself. I have seen "Hair" on Broadway. I went in thinking to myself that it's a fucking musical, and left thinking -"holy shit, that was awesome"
-
As much as I Know that the Art's and theater and stuff can move you, I also know there is nothing like watching great athletes play sports at the highest levels.
-
Tonight I watched two really good College Basketball teams play a game for the right to play in another game on Saturday and it was just like all that other stuff.
-
There were a lot of missed shots. Both sides missed a bunch, but it wasn't because they were not any good, it was because each team played with Passion and they hustled and that included playing defense.
-
BYU had the best player on the court, but Florida had the better team. In the end, the Gators won but the back and forth nature and the passion that came through the television did some kind of Osmosis into my body. Damn, that was just a great experience. I honestly believe if BYU would have won, I would have walked away appreciative of the effort on both sides even though the Gators winning made it all that much more sweeter.
-
Don't tell me sports are not important. When you see greatness in Sports, it's the same when you see it in Literature or plays or Art or Movies. When you see Awesomeness in Sports, it really is no different. It is something that touches you inside and is just as important as any other job. That is why I hate when people say sports aren't important. They are just as important as anything else is in life.
-
It is a reason why I hated that after the World Trade Center attack, both the MLB, Pro Football and College football all quit for awhile. Their basis for doing that was that it just seemed trivial in comparison. I promise you it was no less trivial then My Job was and we damn sure went right back to work the next day.
-
If anything, Big Time Sports are more important then the regular jobs, because when they are at their best like they were tonight they are uplifting to the human soul.

No comments: