Friday, October 23, 2009

Going "ALL IN"

I am "All in" tonight. Its a poker term, but it translates well to real life. In poker, if you have the good hand but the pot is growing out of your range, you can fold up and live to play another day so that you retain your money, or you can go "All in" which is fine, if you win the hand, but if you lose, you are done playing.
-
Nothing wrong with folding a really good hand to live on to play another hand.
-
You might know your cards are good, but worry, and suspect another player has an even better hand.
-
Not going "all in" can be a very wise strategy. Not doing it, is like punting the football on 4th and 1 from midfield. Its almost exactly like that. Think about it, on the first three plays you obviously AVERAGED 3 yards a play to make it to a fourth and 1 situation, and more than likely, if you go for it, you will get the yard. Most coaches, however, punt in that situation even though there have been studies that have proven that the most logical move is to go for it. (those studies, as well as Lane Kiffin, can Kiss my ass. I am just pointing out a Harvard study that documents this shit and that I can't reference right now, because its really just a side point, plus I don't feel like doing the research to back up my shit, but the people that know football well know which study I am referencing)
-
Playing field position football and defense and backing down from "all in" situations creates longevity for football coaches, and keeps you alive till you can get that magical Royal Flush in poker. I get that. I understand that, but not tonight.
-
Tonight I am going to Rage a little. I am going to go all early 1990's Steve Spurrier and just throw the ball to spots, and hope the receivers get their ( they mostly did under Spurrier, thats why that dude is a legend and why Weurffel had such a bitch of a Pro career, because in the pros lots of times they dont get there due to the increased skill level of the Defensive backs in the NFL)
-
So life... Tonight I am playing all four downs, I am not punting ever and even if it gets silly, Like to the degree that its 4th and 8 on my own 2 yard line and I am down by 38 points. I am still going to go for it. Suck that LIFE.....

1 comment:

NTF said...

So did the all in strategy payoff?