Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Love me some Tim Tebow!

The phenomenon of Tim Tebow fascinates me.  I love watching him turn his doubters into believers,  But one of the things these professional analysts  get wrong is all this hyperbole that he is running a spread option offense in the pro game.  He really isn't.  Yes they have a few spread option plays that they mix in,  and yes, at the end of the Jets Game on that 95 yard drive , they went to it primarily,  but overall it is actually a very conservative pro set they are running.  They still have the same offense Orton was running, they just mixed in a few plays from the spread package.  They use it like training wheels but often Tim is riding that bike without either of the two training wheels touching the ground. 
-
Another thing the professional analysts do, is criticize his ability to throw the football.  Yet if you look at it objectively many of his incompletions are dropped passes.  I counted 4 in the Jets game.  That would have made him 13 for 20 instead of 9 for 20.   I agree his accuracy is one of his weaker points in his game right now,  but the emphasis the talking heads put on this weakness is exaggerated.  I have seen improvement in just the five  games he has played so far. (I have only actually seen him play in four of them,  I missed the Kansas  game because I went to the Bucs Game that day. )
-
Tim Tebow is a passionate football player and his enthusiasm is infectious.  He makes other players around him better.   He is like Helen Hunt in that movie "as good as it gets" He makes his team-mates want to be better football players.    
-

No comments: